Monday, December 12, 2011

What this blog is about

It happened that I've worked for a while on and with the Complex Event Processing (CEP) systems. I've worked for a few years on the internals of the Aleri CEP engine, then after Aleri acquired Coral8, some on the Coral8 engine, then after Sybase gobbled up them both, I've designed and did the early implementation of a fair bit of the Sybase CEP R5. After that I've moved on to Deutsche Bank and got the experience from the other side: using the CEP systems, primarily the former Coral8, now known as Sybase CEP R4.

This made me feel that writing the CEP models is unnecessarily difficult. Even the essentially simple things take too much effort. I've had this feeling before as well, but one thing is to have it in abstract, and another is to grind against it every day.

Which in turn led me to thinking about making my own open-source CEP system, where I could try out the ideas I get, and make the streaming models easier to write. Thus the Triceps project was born. For a while it was called Biceps, until I learned of the existence of a recearch project called BiCEP. It's spelled differently, and is in a substantially differnt area of CEP work, but it's easier to avoid confusion, so I went one better and renamed it Triceps.

Since then I've moved on from DB, and I'm currently not using any CEP at work (though you never know what would happen), but Triceps has already gained momentum by itself.

This blog is about Triceps. It's a part of the Triceps release model: first, write and release the code, then write the docs as a blog, then integrate the docs with the code into a proper release. This would describe both the usage and internals of Triceps, and the reasons for  why the internals work this way and not the other.

No comments:

Post a Comment