Friday, November 23, 2018

converting EPS to SVG

I've tried to build my book on a recent Linux Mint and failed: I've been using Ghostscript to convert the figures in EPS to the SVG format, for inclusion into PDF, and it turns out that Ghostscript doesn't support SVG any more. I've tried to download and build the source but the source didn't have it either. I remember, it got broken a long time ago, it was crashing on my previous attempt to use a newer Linux. I've found a bug report from 2013 on Ghostscript's web site. Apparently, instead of fixing the SVG driver, they've just dropped it.

But I was able to find another way, with Inkscape. The conversion command looks like this:

inkscape -D "$SRC_EPS" --export-plain-svg="$DST_SVG"

After this change the build worked like a charm.


The Triceps build will need a similar change. I'm about to try it.

No comments:

Post a Comment