Sunday, January 8, 2023

trapeze data representation for MNIST

 As I've told before, the trouble with MNIST data set is that the test set contains the cases that are substantially different from any case in the training set. So doing well on it requires some kind of generalization on the training set to be able to correctly recognize the test cases. One idea I've had is to parse the images into the logical parts that look like trapezes.

For example, consider an image of the digit 0. It can be broken somewhat like this:

_   /===\   _
   //   \\
_ //     \\ _
  \\     //
_  \\   //  _
    \===/  

Here going from the top we have a horizontal bar that can be seen as a horizontal band containing trapeze of whitespace, followed by a drawn trapeze, followed by another whitespace trapeze. I've separated it by the underbar marks on the sides. Then the sides go expanding: there is still whitespace on the left, then goes the bar expanding to the left, an expanding trapeze of whitespace in the middle, the bar expanding to the right, and another whitespace on the right. Then it goes symmetrically shrinking on the bottom side, and completes with another horizontal bar. There could also be a vertical part on the sides in the middle. Once we recognize the break-down like this, it doesn't matter any more, what exact size is the symbol 0, it's still the same symbol. It gets harder for the many handwritten variations but maybe we get enough samples to build a recognition of all the major ones. So I've decided to try this path wit MNIST.

Recognizing the trapezes in a strict black-and-white image is much easier than with the halftones. So the first thing I've doe was to generate a B&W image by filtering on a fixed level. I've done this, and since I've had it, I've tried to train a model on it. And it did a little worse than on the halftone image.

Well, the next simple approximation is to encode the rows of pixels as run-length. So I've done it, and I've tried to train a model, and guess what, it has done a little worse yet. Which is a bad sign. Part of the problem is that each row becomes of a different size in runs, and to keep the fixed size, the unused runs at the end have to be filled with something. Originally I've filled them with 0s, and then I've tried to fill them with -1. Which made thins a little better but still a little worse than plain B&W image.

At this point the indications were kind of bad but if I didn't try the trapezes, I wouldn't know, right? So I've tried. I've encoded each trapeze with 3 numbers: 

(1) The average slope coefficient of its left side, computed as dx/dy (since a vertical line is possible and a horizontal line is not). Which is also happens to be the slope of the right side of the previous trapeze. It's average because in reality the pixels represent the curved lines, and I just approximate them with the straight trapezes.

(2) The width of the top of the trapeze

(3) The width of the bottom of the trapeze.

To get the ordering of whitespaces and drawings right, I always start each row of trapezes and also end it with a whitespace, and whatever gets left unused gets filled with -1 for widths and 0 for slope.

There is also one exception: since the leftmost whitespace trapeze always has its left slope vertical (i.e. 0), I've reused that value to put the row height into it.

And the result? By now you've probably guessed it, it was a little worse yet (and a lot slower to compute each pass because of the increased input size) than the run-length version. So this representation has turned out to be not very good for generalization, although not terribly bad either. Maybe it can be twisted in some way to make it better. Maybe put it back into a bitmap by treating each trapeze as one pixel, but by now I'm rather pessimistic on these prospects :-)

While experimenting with it, I've tuned the autoRate2 coefficients to make them a little more aggressive, and they had proved themselves quite well. To check how my auto-scaled momentum measures against the classic stochastic descent, I've tried that one too, and the stochastic version did noticeably worse. I've also tried going to Leaky RELU activation, and that one did a little worse yet. So I think at least the descent part and my Corner activation function are working decently well.

No comments:

Post a Comment